Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Saint to Me, My Mom

In Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary seventh edition, the definition of the word “saint” is “a person that the Christian Church recognizes as being very holy, because of the way they have lived or died” or “a very good, kind or patient parson”. The first one is too holy to me, and I am pretty sure that I have not encountered a saint that has recognized by the Christian Church yet in my life. So I choose the second definition, “a very good, kind or patient person”. Yes, I know a person is such a saint, and I live with her, she is my mom.

In the novel Fifth Business, written by Robertson Davies, Mary Dempster had made three miracles which she saved people three times. The three miracles made Dunstable Ramsay thought she was a saint. For me, my mom also has three miracles, which she had saved me three times.

Many years ago, when I was not even one year old, I had a major pneumonia. Pneumonia is a serious illness for babies. It could place a baby’s life in danger. Many babies die because of pneumonia. My mom was the first person who discovered my condition. She decided to take me to the hospital promptly. It was on a weekend night, most of the hospitals were closed. She grabbed a taxi and took me to the kids’ hospital, it was almost the only one stayed open and it was very far away from our house. She worried about me a lot until the doctor told her that I would be fine after their treatment. She stayed at the hospital for the whole night to take care of me, and didn’t sleep at all. My mom snatched me from the hand of death.

Every girl wants to be a pretty princess, so do I. But princesses don’t have twisted teeth. When I came to the age of changing teeth, my mom was concerned a lot about my teeth. On a national long holiday, she found that two of my old teeth were moving and were ready to be pulled out. Since it was on a national holiday, most of the hospitals were closed. Only one hospital was opened, and it only opened for a morning section. By the time my mom found out about my teeth, it was already 11 o’clock. She drove me to the hospital as fast as she could. We arrived at the hospital at 11: 20, and finally got my teeth pulled out. My mom said to me: “Now, you can still be a pretty princess with perfect teeth.”

I have always been a straight-A student since kindergarten. In grade three, I received the first B in my life. I was very upset about my mark and ready for the censure from my mom. Unexpectedly, she did not blame me at all. Instead, she helped me to find the mistakes that I made on the test, and studied with me. She taught me the right way to deal with failure. She taught me the true meaning of “failure is the mother of success”, since I got an A plus on the next test. She did not hurt my feeling when she knows my bad mark. On the other hand, she encouraged me to do batter. She saved me from losing my self-confidence.

Therefore, from the three miracles, I can prove that my mom is a saint, at least to me. She saved me from different areas of life. She is the best mom in the world. To me, she is my saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment